<$BlogRSDUrl$>

quinta-feira, maio 06, 2004

Fcp: Mourinho move comes closer

Mourinho was in the Stamford Bridge stands on Wednesday night
Jose Mourinho's appointment as Chelsea coach appears to have moved a step closer in the wake of the club's Champions League exit.
Mourinho watched Chelsea go out at the semi-final stage following a 2-2 draw against Monaco at Stamford Bridge.

Although the Porto manager remained tight-lipped over his future, Adrian Mutu's agent insisted: "Even stones know Mourinho will be the new coach.

"Mutu wants to speak to Mourinho about his future," said Andrea Pretti.

Claudio Ranieri's tenure at Chelsea has been the source of constant speculation and the Italian has long insisted he knows he will be shown the door at Stamford Bridge come the summer.

However, his biographer Massimo Marinella says that Ranieri is still in the dark regarding his future.

"He doesn't know anything for sure and nobody has told him he will be leaving at the end of the season," Marinella told BBC Radio Five Live.

"We have heard many whispers about Jose Mourinho being the next manager, but only Roman Abramovich knows."

Mourinho is the favourite to take over at the helm and has impressed the Chelsea hierachy with the manner in which he has guided Porto to the Champions League final.

He was in London to run the rule over his potential opponents in that final but is understood to have spoken briefly with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon.

When asked about his future Mourinho hinted he may stay at Porto if the club won the Champions League.

"I don't know about my future and haven't spoken to any clubs. My agent knows more than me," he said.

"It was not easy to come [to Stamford Bridge] but I think professionally and am trying everything to bring the cup to Portugal. I'm loyal to the club.

"Leading the team out in the Inter-Continental Cup is a big incentive."

However, Mourinho did admit he was tempted by the thought of a move to the Premiership.

"Porto's president knows that at the moment I'm thinking only about Porto but he also knows there's a lot going on around me," he added.

"There are very strong incentives that could make me want to leave at the end of the season.

"If I leave Porto, I can't guarantee it will be England but if the alternative is Italy then England will be my choice.

"I can guarantee my future will not be in Spain."

from BBC.co.uk

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?